- May 2011 sales of 10,457 rose 13.6% above May 2010 sales
- Demand for the all-new 2012 Audi A7 was strong for the month
- Sales of Audi TDI clean diesel vehicles continue to far outpace initial predictions
Audi today reported its fifth-consecutive record-setting month for 2011 with the best May U.S. sales in company history. Last month, demand for Audi luxury vehicles increased 13.6% to 10,457 vehicles sold, from 9,205 vehicles sold in May 2010, marking the third-best month in Audi of America history.
The strong May 2011 results were buoyed by a significant buyer response to the all-new 2012 Audi A7, with 812 vehicles sold, as consumers respond to the stylish, technologically advanced vehicle featuring the Audi first-to-market Google Earth navigation system. The Audi A8 flagship sedan also performed favorably in May 2011, with 495 vehicles sold, a 661.5% increase over the same period in 2010.
In May 2011, Audi recorded year-over-year sales increases with seven of its models: the Audi A3, the Audi A4, the Audi A8, the Audi Q5, the Audi Q7, the Audi R8 and the Audi TT.
Consumers continued to show preferences for the brand’s clean diesel technology. Sales of the fuel-efficient A3 models increased 33.9% year-over-year to 664 vehicles sold, with the Audi A3 TDI clean diesel model accounting for 55% of the sales mix in the lineup. Demand for the popular Audi Q7 full-size luxury sport-utility vehicle remained strong with a sales increase of 26.9% year-over-year, with the Audi Q7 TDI clean diesel model accounting for 40% of the sales mix.
The Audi R8 supercar series also enjoyed a significant sales increase of 135.7% year-over-year to 99 vehicles sold in May 2011. The sporty Audi TT coupe and roadster also performed well, with sales increasing 30.2% over the same period last year to 220 vehicles sold.
“Audi continues to make measurable gains in the high-end sector of the luxury car market in the U.S. Our current models are the most technologically-advanced vehicles Audi has ever produced and our progressive luxury positioning continues to set Audi apart from its competitors,” said Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen. “Audi is on track to capture the leadership position in the U.S. luxury market.”
Audi models have already earned significant awards in the U.S., including the Edmunds.com Technology Breakthrough Award to the 2011 Audi A8, four category winners in the Strategic Vision 2010 Total Value Index and the EyesOn Design “Best Production Vehicle” awarded to the 2012 Audi A6, which is scheduled to arrive this fall.
Audi sales highlights – May 2011
- May 2011 ranks as the best-ever May sales in Audi of America history; also represents fifth-consecutive month of record-setting achievements.
- Seven models within Audi lineup post YOY gains.
- Audi sales increase 13.6% YOY compared to May 2010, marking the third-best month in Audi of America history.
Audi A8 and A7 May sales and news notes
- Audi A8 sales sustain momentum with a sales increase of 661.5% YOY to 495 vehicles sold.
- All-new 2012 Audi A7 continues strong debut sales with 812 vehicles sold.
Audi A3 and Audi Q7 May sales and news notes
- Audi A3 sales in May up 33.9% and up 15.8% year-to-date, compared to 2010.
- Audi Q7 sales in May up 26.9% and up 44.4% year-to-date, compared to 2010.
- TDI clean diesel technology represented 55% of total A3 sales for May and 40% of total Q7 sales for May.
Audi R8 and TT May sales and news notes
- Audi R8 sales increase by 135.7% in May 2011 and 132.1% year-to-date, from same period in 2010.
- Audi TT post strong sales with a 30.2% increase YOY to 220 vehicles sold in May 2011.
Audi Certified Pre-Owned sales and news notes
- Certified Pre-Owned sales of 3,470 vehicles mark the fourth consecutive month of sales records for Audi CPO.
- May 2011 CPO sales represent 33.7% YOY gain from 2,596 vehicles a year earlier.
- CPO sales increased 39.3% YTD compared with the same period last year.
Audi of America, Inc. and its U.S. dealers offer a full line of German-engineered luxury vehicles. AUDI AG is among the most successful luxury automotive brands globally. During 2010 Audi was the top performing luxury brand in Europe, and broke all-time company sales records in the U.S. Over the next few years, AUDI AG will invest nearly $16 billion on new products and technologies. Visit http://www.audiusa.com or http://www.audiusanews.com for more information regarding Audi vehicle and business issues.
|AUDI US SNAPSHOT||–YTD–|
|Model Line||May ’11 Actual||May ’10 Actual||Yr/Yr % change||May ’11 YTD Actual||May ’10 YTD Actual||Yr/Yr % change|
|Total Audi Sales||10,457||9,205||13.6%||45,858||39,839||15.1%|
– 2010 A4 numbers include Audi A4 sedan, Avant, and S4 models. 2009 A4 numbers include A4 cabriolet, which has been discontinued.
– 2010 A5 numbers include Audi A5 cabriolet and coupe’ and S5 cabriolet and coupe’
models. 2009 A5 numbers do not include the cabriolet models.
– A6 includes Audi A6 sedan, S6 sedan and A6 Avant models.
-All-new A7 model sales began in april 2011.
– 2010 A8 includes Audi A8 sedan, A8L sedan, and S8 sedan models. 2011 A8 includes Audi A8 sedan and A8L sedan.
– TT includes Audi TT coupe’ and TT roadster models.